Friday, December 21, 2018

100th anniversary of the outstanding Ukrainian scientist Boris Paton

On November 27, 2018, the outstanding Ukrainian scientist academician Boris E. Paton turned 100 years old. Thanks to his inventions, he is known all over the world. Its developments help to produce welding in space, under water and in various areas of medicine: general surgery, gynecology, urology, ophthalmology, abdominal surgery, neurosurgery, etc. For selfless service to science, outstanding achievements in the area of welding and special electrometallurgy in 1998 academician Paton Boris was awarded the title of Hero of Ukraine.

Since 1962, Boris Paton heads the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, which was founded in 1918 by Hetman Pavel Skoropadsky. The Academician Boris Paton is the only head of the state Academy of Sciences in the world, who is its age (the day of Foundation of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the birthday of Boris E. coincide - November 27, 1918).
He was born in Kyiv  in the family of scientist and founder of Paton Institute of Electric Welding in Kiev, Professor Evgeny Oscarovich Paton. His mother was a housewife. In 1941, he completed Kyiv Polytechnic Institute and became an engineer. Paton joined the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine on November 18, 1958 and is the first person to have been awarded the title of the Hero of Ukraine. He holds a doctoral degree in technical sciences and is known for his works in electric welding. Paton's father, Evgeny Paton, was also famous for his works in electric welding. The first welded bridge in Kyiv, constructed under the supervision of Evgeny Paton, bears his name. In the early 1970s and 1980s Paton had advised the Soviet authorities not to build the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant.

Paton Bridge is one of the bridges across the Dnieper in Kyiv, Ukraine named after its constructor Evgeny Paton. Built between 1941 and 1953, it is the world's first all-welded bridge and is also the longest bridge in Kiev having a length of 1,543 metres (5,062 ft). Traffic across the bridge was opened on 5 November 1953.